FORPD Recreation Coordinator Sabrina Bernardo was recently featured in the California Parks and Recreation Society’s (CPRS) magazine! She was interviewed about the Fair Oaks Youth Advisory Board (FOYAB) and the youth development model that the District employs. The article is a great read and can be found HERE.
FAIR OAKS YOUTH ADVISORY BOARD
The Fair Oaks Youth Advisory Board (FOYAB) was established in 2000 to act in an advisory capacity, providing the Fair Oaks Recreation & Park District with valuable insight regarding youth and teen issues in our community. Since its inception, the Youth Advisory Board has accomplished several goals in an effort to better serve their peers. One such goal for the Youth Advisory Board was to raise funds in an effort to provide an annual Holiday dinner for disadvantaged families in Fair Oaks. Additional information on the Youth Advisory Board is as follows:
Location: McMillan Center, 8020 Temple Park Rd (in Fair Oaks Park), Fair Oaks, CA 95628
Staff Liaison: Sabrina Bernardo, Recreation Coordinator- Youth Development & Special Events
Phone: (916) 966-1036 Cell: (916) 240-3652 Email: email@example.com
MEET OUR 2012-2013 FAIR OAKS YOUTH ADVISORY BOARD
Sarah Alsamman, Chair
Alana Sungar, Vice Chair
Jane Diamond, Secretary
Claire Williams, Public Relations
Jared Watson, Programming
Victor de Cos
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
What is the Youth Advisory Board responsible for?
What are some of the Youth Advisory Board’s accomplishments?
- Father/Daughter Dance
- Mother/Son Kickball
- Teddy Bear Tea Party and Cookies with Santa
- “Share the Spirit” Holiday Party for Disadvantaged families
- Senior Citizens Ball
- Kids Art Festival
- Youth Resume Workshop
- Co-host an annual California Parks and Recreation Society (CPRS) Youth Leadership Conference
- Arrange recreation activities such as special events for youth, teens, adults and families
- Volunteer at a variety of community-wide sponsored events and programs
How long can I serve as a member of the Youth Advisory Board?
The maximum term of service is four calendar years.
What are the requirements to become a member of the Youth Advisory Board?
- Applicants must be a high school student in the Sacramento area
- Applicants must have a GPA of 2.75 or higher
- Applicants must apply, interview, and be accepted.
- Unfortunately, because of the popularity of this group we must limit the group to a manageable size.
What is the application process?
Currently, we are no longer accepting applications.